Monday, August 3, 2020

Interview with Robert Gribbin, author of The Last Rhino

Q. Why did you write this book?

A. I lived many years in Africa and have accumulated many stories and anecdotes about life there and interactions amongst people. A number of these items have been published here and there.   I wrote an earlier novel entitled State of Decay. In some ways The Last Rhino is a sequel.  At least in the sense that I used several characters from State of Decay and made vague references to their backstories. So, when I started thinking about a new book, I already had a setting – Africa – and a protagonist – Philippe. I just had to figure out a plot.

I find that fiction reveals as much in general terms of knowledge as does non-fiction. A realistic setting and reference to authentic events and places generates genuine understanding of issues.  The fictional part of it permits the author to create plot, concentrate on problems and to people the story with characters of his own choosing. 

Q. Do you have the plot mapped out ahead of time?

A. No, I do not. I know that some writers think it all through in advance and even outline where it is all going to go. Part of the fun for me is figuring it out as I go along…and as I go back to add something or flesh out a shorter bit. I mull things over while I reread and often get a new idea.  I am indebted to reader/reviewers who have pointed out what was good, what was bad, and what needed to be improved.  

Q. What is the major theme of The Last Rhino?

A. Obviously, conservation is a key theme.  Poaching is a real problem that has devastated big game throughout the continent. The Congo is no exception. I did want to draw attention to this crisis. I hope that the book does that. 

I realized as I was writing that another theme is that of second chances.  Most of the characters experienced difficulties in earlier phases of their lives. For example, Philippe gets to rebound from traumatic loss, both in his sense of self and mission but also in love. Godfrey and Sia sustained terrible shocks at the hands of the Lord’s Resistance Army.  Christopher goes from limited prospects to possibilities and so forth. One of my reviewers was pleased with the depiction of women, especially Marie. On the larger scale Garamba and its creatures have a second chance, as does the Congo itself – if, and it is a big if – if it can manage to bring some order out of chaos.  I left some hope that there might be a second chance for white Rhinos as well.

Q. What is the most fictional part of the story?

A. Most everything in the book is based on reality, but the Wayamba people as a tribe living near the park are fiction. Even so, their philosophy of life: self-contained, disdain for the modern world, living in harmony with nature and aspects of their political system can be found in real tribes in eastern Africa. I adapted what I needed for my plot.

Q. What about the rhinos?

A. Sadly, the white rhinos which used to range widely in Garamba Park are gone.  The remaining ones were probably killed by poachers about ten years ago. Only two northern white rhinos remain alive. They are zoo bred females, now captives in the Ole Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya. It is hoped that one or both might be artificially inseminated by sperm from a southern white rhino, but this remains problematical. A healthy population of southern white rhinos exists in southern Africa and efforts are well advanced to protect black rhinos throughout their range in eastern Africa.   Yet, despite such efforts rhinos remain in danger of extinction as long as habitat is lost, and their horns are valued for medicinal and other purposes in Asia and the Arab world.

Q. Tell us about the cover photo.

A.  The photo is of a white rhino.  I took it in Meru Park, Kenya in 1983. Although well protected, accompanied daily by rangers and housed overnight in a corral, sadly that animal and two others were slaughtered by poachers a year or so later.

If readers have questions for the author, please post them in a comment.   


No comments: